Thermoset Compression Molding Services
We offer close tolerance compression molding services to produce low weight and high strength components fabricated from thermoset composite materials. MCM Composites, LLC ISO 9001:2015 certified mold shop is equipped with an extensive range of up-acting and down-acting compression presses with tonnage capacities of up to 800 tons. These compression presses also have top, bottom, and double transfer capabilities.
We specialize in designing compression molds for semiautomatic, automatic, and hand-assembled operations. Hand-assembled molds are suitable for short production or prototype runs. When compared to thermoplastics, our specially-formulated thermosetting compounds, such as bulk molding compound (BMC) and sheet molding compound (SMC), are more resistant to shrinkage plus less sensitive to variation in wall thicknesses.
Ideal for aerospace applications, our thermoset compression molded parts retain their mechanical properties even at elevated temperatures. By thermoset compression molding, we fabricate multi-cavity molds and custom parts according to your specific dimensional requirements. In addition to compression presses, extensive deflashing equipment enables us to save flash removal cost.
MCM Compression Presses (PDF – 18.1KB)
Compression Molding Capabilities
- ISO Certification
ISO 9001:2015 Registered
- Tolerances the machines can produce repeatedly
- Material List
Carbon Fiber Compounds
Polyester (Both BMC and SMC)
Vinyl Ester (Both BMC & SMC)
Electrical Connector Housings
- Part Weight
0.1 g to 50 lbs
- Production Runs
1 Piece to over 1,000,000 Parts Annually
- Tonnage Capacity
50 tons to 800 tons
- Platen Size Range
18.7″ x 20.7″ to 46.1″ x 46.1″
Custom Coloring options available on request
- Secondary Services
- Value-added Services
Engineering Assistance for Metal-to-Plastic Conversions
Feet, Clip, and Decal Installation
Multiple Piece Assembly
Testing of Prototype Tools
- Tooling Design & Maintenance
- Tooling engineering staff with experience in all mold types with many design characteristics, such as rising islands, gate cutoff, and cold manifold.
- Design each tool to create a mold to optimize product quality, maximize production efficiencies, and minimize product cost.
- Fully equipped tool shop to repair and maintain all of our customers’ molds.
- Regular maintenance of molds. Each mold reviewed after each production run.
- Quality Certifications
ISO 9001:2015 Registered
- Software Used
- Acceptable File Formats
- Industries Served
Food & Beverage
Park & Recreation
- Mold Types
- Thermoset Compression Molding Advantages
High Strength Parts
Low Residual Stress